Practical tips and suggestions from a business mum speaker at a Motivating Mum East Hertfordshire networking event
The first spring event was held on the 1st May at the Waterlounge in Bishops Stortford, where around 15 women (and some little ones) were able to meet up, network, listen and chat to Tanya Filer about her experience of setting up her own social media business, www.socialcirclemedia.co.uk, alongside family life.
There was a great deal of discussion and tips to be shared on using social media to benefit your business, and it definitely could have gone on for longer had there been time!
HOW TANYA STARTED UP HER SOCIAL MEDIA BUSINESS
Tanya started using facebook around nine years for her personal use, twitter and LinkedIn around five years ago (and then other types of social media as they have become available) and absolutely loves using them. Having gained a huge social media knowledge base she took on a bet from a construction firm that she could make a huge difference to their business by developing and running a social media campaign for them, and she was so successful in doing this that what started as a hobby, changed very quickly into a business about a year ago. Tanya gave up her day job of working as a financial assistant, and the demand and business has just continued to grow.
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TIPS SHARED AND DISCUSSED DURING THE EVENT
Tanya was happy to offer some tips on using social media for business and to answer specific questions during the morning. Here are some of the main ones that came up, focusing on facebook and some on twitter:
1) A Fan page and a business page are the same thing
2) You have to have a personal facebook page to then set up a business one, and with a business one you must have a postcode and address to include on the page (and it is against facebook guidelines to operate a business group from your personal page)
3) Once you get to 25 likes on your business page you can set up a vanity facebook address (go into edit on the facebook page to do this)
4) Keep one facebook business page even if you have two businesses (just clearly mark the different businesses out on your page)
5) To get more facebook likes – search through discussion groups (such as Netmums, Mumsnet or Motivating Mum forum), make comments, offer suggestions etc, without being blatant about your business
6) People buy from people – when on any of the facebook groups, help by offering suggestions, answering queries etc and then sending a private inbox message if you think you can offer them something specific through your business to help them
7) Best times of day to post: facebook – 8 to 9 am and 5 to 7 pm (leave out school run times if targeting mums) and for LinkedIn – stick to between 9am-5pm on week days only
8) You can schedule facebook postings for set times via facebook itself (there is a clock icon on the page) or another option is to use sprout social (they offer you the chance to have a trial of this)
9) How many postings a day? No more than 3 postings a day on facebook, and no more than once every 4 hours
10) See if bloggers will be happy to blog about your business (offer to send some items free of charge in exchange for a review) Stephanie at Motivating Mum East Hertfordshire did a review recently with a gift company who asked for a review in exchange for free products, and this was then posted out via Motivating Mum groups and sites. Motivating Mum is very happy to receive samples of products for review or giveaway (or preferably both) - contact [email protected] for more details of this.
11) You can put people into lists to manage twitter news feeds (but be careful what you name your lists, as those people you put into lists will get a notification that you have done it!)
12) Retweet other stories about products/topics linked to your business to boost your follower numbers [viralpullquote ]Retweet other stories about products/topics linked to your business to boost your follower numbers[/viralpullquote] and follow a wide range of twitter accounts linked to your business
13) Unfollowing – it is fine to unfollow after a while (they won’t know and it means you can manage your twitter feeds to only receive the most relevant ones)
Hungry for more?
Tanya can offer 30 minute or 1 hour tutorials if this is needed for specific help.
FREE BUSINESS RESOURCES
During the discussion these free resources were mentioned, which may be of interest:
www.enterprisequest.com – tips, ideas and know-how for small and home business owners
Better Business Magazine – a free copy is available by sending an email to [email protected] with ‘EQ magazine offer’ as the subject and you just need to include your name and address (Stephanie has a free copy and it is very relevant)
Thank you to Tanya for so many useful tips and suggestions based on her extensive experience, it generated a lot of discussion and some great ideas to take away!
JUNE EVENTS FOR MOTIVATING MUM EAST HERTFORDSHIRE
There are two events coming up in June, being organised, motivated and focused for summer (19 June, Bishop’s Stortford) and a workshop on: your website, IT security and internet marketing (27 June, Ware) Do check out the events pages at www.motivatingmum.co.uk to find out more!